The internet is full of reasons why you shouldn't wear shoes. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. Stop thinking that you know better, Mr. 8 minute mile. Try something new, take a risk. But my arches need support! I am an over-pronator! I NEED extra padding!
Bullshit.
Stop being so scared. Take a chance. What is the worst that could happen? Will you have some discomfort when you run the first few times? Maybe.
I bet you will run faster. And you will enjoy it more. Maybe this is a step closer to finally justifying that elitist attitude of yours. People will talk to you during races. They will call you tough. They will ask you stupid questions. The joke is on them, though because they are the ones who are running with an unnatural gate and the blisters.
Look at these. There isn't a reason you shouldn't be running in them.