Today I will run. The rain has only just stopped and the wind is nearly blowing hard enough to destroy the windows. I will run hard to make up for my failure last night. I will go fast and I will have a good attitude. I will motivate my two training companions to do the same tonight. When we are done our reward will not be chocolate ice cream or even beer. No, we will soak in mineral baths then retire to heated salt floored saunas because one of us is sick and she is hard core enough to run tonight even though if most people were as sick as her they wouldn't bother going to work let alone continue training. She has a strong will.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Failure: lack of will
Yesterday I set out to run. I had just gotten back from a mild hike in the mountains and dinner with some coworkers. It rained the entire hike, I lent my jacket to a coworker, I was tired, it was dark, it was still raining...all excuses. The reason I didn't run is because I lacked the will to do it. It would have been hard and uncomfortable. I would have been cold at first, I would have gotten muddy, but I should have gone. If you are thinking to yourself "well geez guy, you could have just run on a treadmill..." I will not run on a treadmill anymore. Treadmills crush the soul. They are an approximation of running, a place holder. Treadmills trick you into believing that you are doing something worth noting. I run outside. But not last night. Last night I didn't even manage 5k worth of effort. Instead I stayed indoors and enjoyed a cushy evening of banality.